Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Social Networking Sites

Personally I haven't had much to do with social networking sites, as i have enough trouble updating my blog let alone tweeting every move that I make and seeing as I see most of my friends at least once a week, I don't see the point in phoning them let alone chatting online. But I can appreciate how these sites can be important tools for people separated by distance or for companies and organisations to interact with their customers on another level.

Libraries in the 21st century have become social and community spaces and the use of social networking to reach out to the community fosters this feeling of inclusion and fun within our patrons. Sunshine Coast Libraries does this very well by using Twitter and Facebook to promote our library events and our services to the wider community.

I've also heard of organisations using these technologies in conjunction with established services, such as Museums posting exhibitions, School based work experience students posting what they are doing on twitter for use by their schools to monitor their progress and so forth. It seems to be only limited by the imagination of its users.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home